About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sago at Gulaman

Sago at Gulaman

It's Saturday and it's hot and humid outside. What a great opportunity to make this drink called sago't gulaman (tapioca pearls and jelly) to quench our thirst. My dear husband loves this drink especially when it's accompanied with another merienda item like Banana-Q so I have no excuse not to make it. Let me share with you the recipe:

2 cups of dark brown sugar plus 2 1/2 cups of water for the arnibal (simple syrup of water and brown sugar)
sago (tapioca pearls)
1 bar of gulaman (agar-gar or jelly)
water
crushed ice

Directions:

1. To cook sago: In a saucepan, boil water and put in uncooked sago. Stir constantly to prevent them from sticking. Drain and rinse. Set aside.

2. To cook gulaman: Boil water in a saucepan and put in uncooked gulaman. When it has dissolved in the water, strain thoroughly. Transfer to molds then set aside to cool. Once the gulaman is set, cut into cubes.

3. To make arnibal (sugar syrup): Over medium heat, caramelize sugar. When melted, pour in water and continue cooking to make sure that the sugar is dissolved completely. Set aside to cool. Put some arnibal on the sago to sweeten the latter.
4. Layer the gulaman and tapioca pearls in a tall glass. Sweeten by adding enough arnibal. Add ice-cold water or crushed ice. Enjoy!!!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.. i miss this drink!

Post a Comment