About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chicken Tinola (Tinolang Manok)


Chicken Tinola is one of the famous and favorite comfort foods in the Philippines. In fact this is one of my husband's favorite dishes especially during cold weather. You don't need to be a master chef to make this. It's quite simple to prepare that's why I don't get tired of making this whenever my husband requests it.

Ingredients:
whole chicken cut in serving portion
garlic
small onion sliced
ginger
green papaya (sayote is a good replacement)
sili leaves(pepper leaves)
salt and pepper to taste
water
patis (fish sauce)

Directions:
1] In a casserole, heat oil over medium heat.
2] Saute ginger and garlic until fragrant. Then add onions until it changes color or translucent.
3] Add the chicken cuts. Stir-fry until the chicken meat turns white.
4] Pour in water and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and let it simmer until the chicken is half done.
5] Add the green papaya or sayote. Continue to simmer until chicken and vegtables are done.
6] Season with salt and pepper ( or fish sauce--patis) according to your taste or you can use chicken bullion.
7] Once the chicken are tender add the sili leaves and turn off the heat.


It's diffucult to find a green papaya at our local grocery store so I used sayote instead. This is best eaten with patis and sili on the side. Yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment