About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Friday, October 9, 2009

Mamon(Filipino Sponge Cake)

Few days ago, my husband and I was craving for a mamon cake after seeing a Goldilocks commercial on TV. Right away, I searched for a recipe and luckily found one on the internet. This goodie is perfect for an afternoon snacks especially with coffee or tea.


The recipe is easy to follow. The taste is not far from the mamon you get from Goldilocks or Red Ribbon. It is very tasty, fluffy, buttery and the sweetness is just about right. I am happy with the result especially that Red Ribbon is about 70 miles away, who wouldn't be happy, right?


Ingredients:
8 egg yolks
8 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 3/4 cups sifted Cake Flour
1/3 cup melted Butter
1/3 tsp Orange Extract
1/4 tsp Lemon Extract
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
3/4 cup sugar

Directions:
1. Beat in a mixer at high speed until thick: 8 egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup water.
2. Then at low speed — add 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1-3/4 cup sifted cake flour, 1/3 cup melted butter, 1/4 tsp. orange extract, and 1/4 tsp. lemon extract.
3. In a separate bowl, beat 8 eggwhites with 1 tsp. of cream of tartar at high speed. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff (about 4 minutes).
4. Fold in the yolk mixture into the whites.
5. Grease 14 big mamon molds or 20 small molds with softened or melted butter on all sides.
6. Pour the mamon mixture into the greased molds, 3/4’s full.
7. Bake mamon at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. When done, brush the mamon with softened butter and roll in a plate of sugar.


I will make another batch using a different recipe next time to see the difference. What I would also like to do is add some grated cheese on top of it. Will post the update soon!

Goodies like this is is really hard to resist. I am on my third piece now and no this isn't part of my everyday diet... hehe..




0 comments:

Post a Comment