About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sauteed Kang Kong (Watercress)

I must admit, I don't eat vegetables regularly. But if I do, I eat lots of it. One of my favorite vegetables is Kangkong or better known as Watercress or Water Spinach here in the US. There are lots of ways to cook it. It can be made as Adobong Kangkong - sauteed in cooking oil, garlic, onions, vinegar and soy sauce. Then there's an appetizer called Crispy Kangkong - coated in batter and fried until crisp and golden brown. It is also a common leaf vegetable in meat or fish soup like 'Sinigang'.

But my favorite one is the Ginisang Kangkong or Sauteed Watercress. As you are aware by now, I'm a sucker for easy cooking and this one I think is the easiest dish I have made thus far.


Just need garlic, cooking oil and bunch of watercress. Wash the vegetables and trim the large stems. Heat the pan with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook the garlic until golden brown then add the watercress and stir constantly until wilted for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Be careful not to overcook the greens. Make sure it has a firm, crisp texture and good color because mushy and overcooked vegetables won't look appetizing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment