About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vietnamese Fresh Spring Roll (Goi Cuon)

Whenever my husband and I eat at a Vietnamese restaurant, we never failed to order a Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls. We liked it because it is different from the usual fried variety. We normally like to order it during summer months but it is good all year round as well.

Last night I tried making my very first Vietnamese Fresh Spring Roll. I checked my fridge and had all the ingredients I needed. The good thing about this dish is you can be creative and use any vegetables or meat you prefer. Vegetarians may omit the meat altogether.

This dish is served cold and not fried. It is very healthy as everything in it is fresh. It is very important that you only use fresh ingredients to bring out the fresh taste and flavor.

Ingredients:

6 sheets rice paper (you can get this from Oriental store)

2 large leaves of green lettuce, cut into small pieces

3 ounces rice vermicelli, cooked according to package

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

12 mint leaves

9 large shrimps, cooked, peeled, deveined and cut in half

imitation crab meat(optional) - you can any meat you prefer like pork, chicken etc.


Procedure
:
1] Bring the water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.

2] One at a time dip the rice paper in a large bowl of water very quickly.

3] Place the rice paper on a flat area, then stack small amount of lettuce, rice noddles, cilantro, mint leaves, 3 half shrimps, and a slice of imitation crab meat

4] Roll the rice paper. Carefully start to roll up eggroll style, tucking in the sides, then continue to roll up-but not too tightly or the spring roll will split.

5] Combine a few spoonfuls of Hoisin sauce with some chopped peanuts to use as a dipping sauce (or serve with prepared spicy fish sauce dip called Nuoc Mam, available at Asian markets).


This dish has to be served immediately as you cannot keep them long in the fridge and will harden them so it's best to make just as many as you plan to serve. Or if you want just store any extra filling in the fridge and roll them later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment