About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pork and Shrimp Siomai (Steamed Dumplings)


Weeks ago my friends and I were talking about our own favorite snacks back in Manila. And I could not believe that Siomai was one of the popular amongst us next to the fish ball of course. And with that exchanges of stories, I decided of preparing one for hubby. However it was not until Sunday that I ended up chopping all the ingredients I did for the siomai. I know that you can't go wrong with this because its like making lumpiang shanghai only the wrapper is different.

Ingredients:
3/4 pound ground pork
1/2 pound shrimp
1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas)
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1 minced onion
chopped bunch of spring onions
1 egg
5 tablespoons sesame oil - optional
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
small wanton or siomai wrapper
dipping sauce:
soy sauce, fried garlic, calamansi (or lemon), sesame oil and chili.

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal. Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil or you can use wax paper just before adding the siomai so it won't stick to the steamer. When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let steam for 15-20 minutes or longer for larger pieces.
Serve with soy sauce, fried garlic, calamansi or lemon and sesame oil as dipping sauce. Chili is optional.

Make sure to serve it with dipping sauce as that what makes siomai special.

0 comments:

Post a Comment