About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Friday, August 14, 2009

Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet (Escabeche)

What's for dinner? Friday night dinners are usually limited to just fish and vegetables in our house. This has been a family tradition back in the Philippines that we still follow up to now to give us a break for eating meats during the week. So after rummaging through my freezer, I found a bag of fish fillet and a quick look at my pantry for available ingredients, I decided to cook Filipino style Sweet and Sour Fish or Escabeche. Normally, this dish is cooked using whole fish but since I didn't have one, fish fillet was a good replacement.

Ingredient
s:
Fish Marinade
1 teaspoon salt
1teaspoon pepper
1 large egg white

1 tablespoon cornstarch


Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 onion, quartered
ginger cut into strips
minced garlic garlic
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
3 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of cornstarch

3 tablespoons of ketchup or tomato sauce

sugar

pineapple juice

Directions:
1. Rinse the fish fillets and pat dry. Cut into 2-inch squares. Add the fish to the marinade ingredients and marinate the fish for 15 minutes.
2. Fry the marinated fish cubes until they are golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
3. Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok.
Sauté garlic, onions and ginger, then add the red bell pepper, pineapple juice and tomato sauce or ketchup to add color. If you want a sweeter sauce then add sugar. Thicken with a little bit of the dissolved cornstarch. Stir until sauce thickens.
4. Pour over fried fish fillets then serve with rice.


I could've add pineapple chunks but am not really a fan of pineapple if used in cooking. You can also add green bell peppers since I didn't have one I just used carrots instead. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment