About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Filipino Chicken Adobo

I consider Adobo as the Philippine's national dish only because it is so easy to make and the ingredients are available in everyone's pantry all the time. There are a lot of variations you can make to this dish, some would cook it skinless, some with a thicker sauce or some would cook it with more tangy flavor. But what Adobo recipes share in common is the use of soy sauce and vinegar.

I like my adobo with reduced and thicker sauce. Depending on your taste, you can adjust the amount of soy sauce and vinegar. It is always a good practice to start less, then add more later when necessary.

Chicken can also be substituted with Pork or can be a combination of both. Just don't forget to drain the excess oil after you fry the chicken as you don't want your adobo to be greasy.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken cut-ups (excess skin removed)

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
3 cloves garlic, smashed

3 bay leaves
peppercorns or ground black pepper
1 cup water


Directions:

1] Marinate the chicken in soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, and peppercorns for about 15-30 minutes. If you don't have time to marinate, that's fine as well.
2] Heat the cooking oil in a large pan. Saute the garlic until golden brown, then add the chicken and cook until brown on both sides.
3] Then add the marinade and water to the pan and simmer partly covered until the chicken is done.
4] If you prefer thicker sauce, you can add a little bit of cornstarch.

I bought a whole chicken so I also used the gizzard that came with it as you can see in the photo. Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment