About Mica's Munchies

Cooking is what I enjoyed most doing but still consider myself a novice cook but I'm an expert eater I must say.. :) This blog chronicles all my firsts, all my tried and tested recipes, as well as my successes and failures in the kitchen. Will also write about some of my restaurant discoveries and adventures. So sit back, relax and happy reading. :)

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oxtail Kare-Kare

Kare-Kare is a Philippine stew made from peanut sauce and a variety of vegetables. This dish is not something you can mess up with.. :) Growing up, this was always a dish that is served on special occasions or as a weekend meal. Because back then there was no ready made mix that you can use. So you have to devote ample time in preparing this dish. My dad was the go-to guy when it comes to kare-kare. I remember my relatives and friends of the family always asked my dad to make this whenever there's a special occasion.

So last weekend, I tried making my own version of Kare-kare. I found a very easy to follow recipe on the net.

Ingredients:
1 lb. Ox tail
2 medium sized eggplant cut in small pieces
1 bunch of baby bok choy
1 bunch of string beans
1 cup peanut butter
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
1 big onion chopped
3 tablespoon cooking oil
annato seeds or powder
1/4 c. rice flour

Directions:
1] Wash the ox tail. Cut into serving pieces. Place in a heavy saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove the scums as it rises, cover, add more water if you need to. Kare kare is better if the meat is tender. Let simmer until the meat is tender this will take about 1-2 hours.
2] Transfer the meat into a plate or a bowl and let it cool, strain and set aside the stock.
3] Place rice flour in a skillet and toast over medium-high heat until golden. Set aside.
4] In a casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add annato seeds or powder and “cook” until they render color and the oil is bright red. Remove annato seeds and discard. Increase heat to medium-high and saute onions and garlic for about 30 seconds. Add meat pieces and cook until they absorb the color or the oil. Pour in 4 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and add vegetables.
5] Meanwhile, mix peanut butter with 1/2 c. of stock. Mix roasted rice flour with 1/2 c. of stock. Pour in peanut butter and rice flour mixtures into the casserole. Stir to blend well. Season with salt. Cook for about a 2 minutes until sauce is thick.
6] Serve hot with shrimp paste and steamed rice.


In place of ox tail, beef and tripe can all be used. I also like to mention, try not to overcook the vegetables just because it doesn't look good to have soggy veggies floating around your stew.. :) This was my first time making this dish and definitely not the last as my husbnd was very pleased with the outcome. Also, to make it a lot easier, you can just use the Mama Sita's Kare-Kare mix that can be purchased at any Oriental store. I personally did not use it only because I wanted to try it from scratch. But I will try it next time to see the difference. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment